Monday, February 20, 2012

Week 3

When talking to my Tica mom about these questions, I could kind of guess the types of responses that she would give me. Since living with her for the past month I have grown to learn her personality. She thought it would be weird for Costa Ricans to eat bugs such as cockroaches or organs of animals like the brains and heart. These are foods that I too would never consider eating not even for money! This really made me realize that there are probably more similarities between what Costa Ricans and Americans believe to be weird foods. She also said that Costa Ricans would never eat human meat or body parts. Again this is something that I believe most people and cultures would not eat. When I asked my mom about the body image question, I could tell that it made her feel uncomfortable. She kind of laughed it off and responded that she must have sweet insides because she likes to eat dessert. I believe that she was probably uncomfortable because my tica dad and one of my tica brothers are on the heavier side. Finally after a little while my tica mom said she believes that you are what you eat. I believe this statement as well and it seems like a pretty universal thing to believe. Since being here I haven't noticed body image and perception as a problem or something that is talked about often. Weight is a sensitive subject in any culture and is usually not addressed unless needed.

This billboard is and advertisement for 3 Hermanas Bar-B-Q and Grill. This advertisement, like many, appeal to the senses. You can see the juicy piece of meat on the plate and can practically smell and taste the bar-b-q. It is also showing the freshness of the product. This is very similar to billboards in the US. The picture peaks the interest and taste buds of the consumer and ultimately gets them into the restaurant. All advertisements regardless of the country want your business and will play on any and all emotions of the consumer.
This second advertisement is for beer. This ad makes the product appear to be elegant. It even won the gold award which is written to the side of the ad under the big gold metal. It says to the consumer that if you drink this product then you too will feel the elegance and understand why it won the gold. Advertisements in the United States do the same thing as well. I've seen billboards for jewelry stores who play on the same feeling of elegance. They are selling status. From looking at these advertisements and others as well it is easy to see that they all have the same goals. While different ads play on different emotions they are all the same in that they want your business regardless of what country you are in.

No comments:

Post a Comment