Monday, February 20, 2012

Semana Tres!!! :D


Leslie Gilman
Blog #3

            This week I talked to Tamara, my ten-year-old Tico sister, about strange foods and the perception of food and how it often related to lifestyles. As far as strange foods, she said that it is not strange to eat foods from other countries here. The effects of globalization on food choices seem to make the perception of other culture’s foods less strange and more desirable. It seemed like it was fairly similar to the United States in this respect. Tamara said that it is more generally accepted that people have different body images and they are not as harshly judged as in the United States. It is more desirable to be skinny or healthy than overweight. It is common for adults to diet in order to reach their ideal weights. It is also common for other adults to place more emphasis on cultural traditions of enjoying full meals, instead of being healthy. There is a stigma with being overweight; it is seen as eating a lot of fast food. The focus is more on what is actually consumed than genetics or external factors, like in the United States. Tamara said that there is definitely an increase of eating fast food and less time to eat at home, which leads to more obesity and overweight problems in Costa Rica.
            The pictures I have are of a sign outside of AM/PM where a deal is advertized. This combination is with a sandwich, pasta, or burrito with chips and a drink. I’ve eaten a few of these combinations and they are really filling! I was surprised by how they were only about four dollars and that there wasn’t any fruit (unless you got juice, of course!) The second one is a picture of “Combos del café” where you can get a pastry and coffee to go! This is strange for Costa Rica because it’s common to eat at home, especially drinking coffee.
Meal Deal! YUM!!!

Coffee and pastry combo deal! :)

            The perceptions of health really surprised me. Although there is still the same desire to healthiness, with exceptions in the elderly who are set in their ways, there are many differences too. It was interesting to see that fast food and not eating at home was the explanation for obesity. In the United States we often blame genetics, busy schedules, and external factors related to the individual. The usage of diets also surprised me, though I guess the effects of globalization and interaction of different cultures are really quite evident. There are also a lot of advertisements only in English, or in English first and then Spanish. This just shocks me! We are in Costa Rica, which means we need to learn to respect and grow in the native language and culture, it surprises me that there is so much overlap. I know it’s because of the tourism and effect of trading with the United States, but I struggle to find the balance of egocentric and expecting everything to overlap and respecting a culture quite different than the one in which I was raised.
            In class we have talked about the revolutionary changes of the Columbian Exchange. Although considered “native” now, Costa Rica would not have had coffee or rice without the exchange. It is interesting to see how dependent they are on foods that were not at first available there, now the art has been perfected and Costa Rican coffee is considered some of the best in the entire world! This has continued and is happening every day that we’re here visiting. Everything is changing so rapidly here with the addition of fast food restaurants and subconscious imposition of western struggles with obesity and unhealthy eating habits.
            In both the United States and Costa Rica, I don’t really like talking about perception of people’s body types. It’s something I’ve always struggled with and my entire family has gone in and out of over the years. Health is a desired lifestyle, but if it is not the reality it is easy to feel uncomfortable discussing it. There are also implicit and explicit judgments that I’ve had about others and I’m sure have occurred in other’s minds. Weight and perception of foods are difficult in every culture, it seems, and I am no exception to the struggle to have these conversations.
            It is really interesting to begin to find the routine of eating a mixture of native foods to Costa Rica, and imported favorites commonly eaten in the US. With the balance of what I grew up with and what I am growing accustomed to, I continuing the process of appreciating the food that I eat and the value of knowing where it comes from. Although I have been to WalMart and Más Por Menos a few times, I am trying to support the AM/PM and more localized economies in Costa Rica. It’s been really neat (and delicious) going to Cosechas, a smoothie place, and the bakery, which specializes in Cinnamon Rolls. The fresh, direct investment into the local economies makes me really want to support only local markets. WalMart (which owns Mas Por Menos) and the bigger companies are still supporting people in Costa Rica, but there’s something special about small local businesses. I admire the lack of pure greed and monetary driven “success” in Costa Rica. The community and common value of the majority seems to be a genuine priority, even how overweight people are perceived. The blame is given to fast foods, not an individual’s genetics and habits.
            I have enjoyed continuing to learn about lots of Costa Rican food and how to support local economies. I subconsciously reach for the processed, mystery foods of the US that I am accustomed to over the natural fruits sometimes. It is great to know that since health is really valued, it’s not impossible to make unhealthy choices here! I am striving to re-learn the value of food and hopefully incorporate this appreciation into my everyday life. I am planning on changing my habits and cravings of eating unhealthy processed foods, one decision at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment