Monday, February 20, 2012

My tica mom said that there was a large generational gap in Costa Rican families between what is "weird" to eat and what is becoming the norm. For example, my host brothers will eat sushi but not a traditional chicken-foot soup that their grandma prepares. The same can be said for the parents who are very opposed to eating raw fish. I found a lot of similarities with these attitudes to those of my parents and older family members in the US.

I also found a lot of similarities between the way food is viewed in CR and the States. My tica mom told me that in the past, overweight people were viewed as being very high ranking - obviously, you can afford to eat well. But now, it's almost like a social disorder. I feel like the same attitudes persist in American culture. Being overweight is so taboo. The more dangerously thin you get, the "better" you become in society's eyes.
It's back-to-school season here in San José. This seems to be a fairly typical ad advertising school supplies. Some of the brand names are familiar like Bic and Scotch. Obviously, this is a very bright, sunny positive ad...but why are these children white? Why are there no tico children in this ad? You said earlier in class that Walmart recently bought out Mas4Menos, which is where I got this flyer. So, maybe Walmart does not take into consideration its local audience when creating ads. This can't be good. What images does this send Costa Rican children? Only gringos go to school and learn? 

No comments:

Post a Comment