Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 2

Above is a typical Costa Rican breakfast. I think we've all experienced this traditional plate of rice and beans, eggs and beanie weanies (as I like to call them). Since being in Costa Rica, my food has varied from traditional to very "mainstream" foods that I am accustomed to having. For instance, the first night I was here, my tika mom made me arroz con pollo - the typical rice and chicken dish. However, on many occasions (like last night) my tika mom made me french fries. The same can be said for breakfast, I've had the traditional meal many times but also on several occasions I've had pancakes or french toast. I'm not sure if this melange of cuisines is an affect of living in a more close, global society or if my tika mom thinks that this is what I want.

My host dad explained to me that many of the fruits that we eat are native to Costa Rican, often coming direct from local farmers. Like last time, he again mentioned that grains are the main imported products to Costa Rica because it is impossible to grow here. But the majority of the food I consume at home will be native Costa Rican foods. (This is kind of hypocritical Dad, since you fed me spaghetti tonight for dinner)

Like I said earlier, my family is unique. I often eat alone in the kitchen with no one for company but the TV. My tika mom often cooks just for me, and doesn't cook for the rest of the family. My father explained that his sons are older now (both of them are pushing 30...and still at home...different, not weird, right?) but when they were younger and in primary school the family always ate together at the table with the TV off. He also said that dinner was a BIG deal, particularly for his family. Keyword is was.

I so want the experience that I hear my classmates having. Even when my father is answering my questions, it's while he is passing through the kitchen on the way to the study. I don't really see any sense of unity in my family - especially at meal time. I feel like I am missing out on some aspect of Tikan culture that my family has let go to the wayside.



No comments:

Post a Comment