Monday, February 27, 2012

Blog #4

Restaurants in Costa Rica are both very different and very similar to the United States. There is still a strong cultural aspect to eating in restaurants but there are different connotations and even different types of restaurants. For example, the most shocking difference is the "fast food experience". Last week we stopped at McDonalds and the first thing we noticed was how nice the building was. It was kind of fancy architecture and the menu was glowing with large appetizing pictures of burgers. The menu was definitely smaller (variety-wise) than in the US and it was surprisingly more expensive. My combo meal was more than $6, not the usual $4 meals I expect from McDonalds at home. The food was the same as at home, although a United State-ian would never consider it "fast" food seeing as it took about 10-15 minutes to be ready as opposed to the 5 minutes max that the we are used to in the states. When talking to my Tica Mom she was saying that fast food presents a generational gap as well. She said that the older generations do not eat at fast food places but the younger generations, particularly college and high school aged students enjoy fast food and even see it as a luxury.
When observing and learning about restaurants in Costa Rica there are many similarities to the culture in the States. There are many types of restaurants (my Tica Mom mentioned Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Argentinian, Nicaraguan and Mexican restaurants and said that there were many more) just like the United States. When I asked about how often people eat at restaurants, I was surprised again by the similarities. My Tica Mom says that it depends on the family and the people. Many special occasions are celebrated in restaurants but they are also celebrated at home with big family parties. Some families eat out more often than others. For example, all my meals with my Tica family have been at home but I know others have gone out once or twice. It really depends on the family. My Tica Mom thinks Italian food is delicious and she LOVES Chinese food but she knows some people hate Chinese, so it really depends. She said it is very common for people to eat at sodas for lunch during the work day, but sodas are not really considered to be "restaurants" because they are cheap and more commonly used. I was absolutely shocked when I realized that McDonalds cost more than a soda. It was so shocking that a healthy meal cost less than fast food. But I also noticed how both sodas and fast food restaurants were quick to serve and had very few options. Then again, the fact that sodas cost less than fast food just proves how strong cultural ties are and how fast food is creating an industry here: in the US fast food is prosperous because it reaches a high population of lower class, in Costa Rica it is the opposite.
As much as I enjoyed eating at McDonalds and a few sodas and the world cuisine dining experience, I prefer my families home-cooked meals here. Every now and then some AMerican foods pop up but I really enjoy the fresh fruits and vegetables and the rice and beans and meats that are cooked with such care by my Tica mom. I'd choose these meals over the fast food in any country every day.





No comments:

Post a Comment