Monday, February 13, 2012

Customs and Comida


This week I discussed customs related to food with my family. Much of these answers were very similar to last weeks responses. When discussing the nature of eating with my mom, she answered in two ways. First she answered my questions from the point of view of her particular family. Then she answered from the point of view of the majority of Costa Ricans. This helped in understanding culture as a whole in Costa Rica.



The first picture I have is one of breakfast. Each morning it is typical for me to have a plate of fruit, gallo pinto, a slice or two of bread, eggs or cheese, and a glass of fresh juice. Fresh fruit is of abundance here, especially bananas. My family has another house that they like to visit, and they always return with new fruit. Gallo pinto is very common in my house, and historically has been known as a “perfect protein,” so it makes sense that we eat it daily.

Normally, the family does not eat breakfast together because much of the family is on different schedules. At my house, my mom never eats breakfast with us, my dad is not around during the week, and my brothers leave for work at different times than me. Much of Costa Rica eats together in the afternoon, but eats dinner at different times. At my house we always eat dinner together, although sometimes my brothers are late for dinner. My tica mom says that many costa rican families have an afternoon snack or café together. My tica mom drinks café everyday around 3 or 4. The afternoon snack tends to be a social thing to catch up with everyone before going separate ways.



For dinner we always have some sort of meat, rice, and at least one type of vegetable. Additionally we again have some sort of juice. At my house, we eat all types of meat from fish to chicken to red meat. Also dinner tends to be the largest meal of the day. In my opinion, breakfast and dinner are just about equally large, but dinner is heavier. Also my tica mom feels strongly about how dinner should be served. She puts everything on the table and then you are free to serve yourself. She thinks it is important that you take a portion that is good for you. On the other hand, breakfast is always laid out for me and I do not serve myself. I think this is just for the sake of time, and cleanup for her part.

One custom that I have learned about Costa Rican table manners is that if you have to blow your nose, you must excuse yourself, go to the bathroom, wash your hands, blow your nose, wash your hands again , then return to the table. Another pattern is that whenever I am eating meat, I must be doing it wrong because my family always teaches me their way: picking the meat up with your hands and eating it. Of course, this is only allowed around family, but it is interesting that I am relearning table manners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment