Monday, April 16, 2012

Nicaragua

When bringing up how Costa Rican’s view Nicaraguans, my family responded by comparing it to how some people in the United States view Mexicans. They said that they don’t think Nicaraguans are bad people, but sometimes they come into Costa Rica, have an attitude, and take jobs. Because of this, some Costa Ricans now have an attitude towards Nicaraguans. Nicaraguans now have a negative stereotype in Costa Rica. Going to Nicaragua, seeing the beautiful city, learning some of their history, visiting some of their most treasured places, and talking to some of the people, I realize that this really is just a stereotype.  Generally speaking, I feel like are good people of a beautiful country.

In comparing Nicaragua and Costa Rica, I feel that both Nicaragua and Costa Rica are filled historic beauty. Furthermore, in terms of what we had the opportunity to experience while in Granada, it is similar to Costa Rica in that it also has historic buildings and churches and amazing geographic and environmental sites such as the Masaya volcano, and additionally we learned that both places export chocolate.

I also feel that both countries strongly rely on tourism.  However, it seemed to me that, in Nicaragua, generally, people either work in a hotel or restaurant or they have learned how to survive on the streets. In Costa Rica I think there are more job opportunities, many in tourism, but also in many other venues, such as health and social services.

Different though, is the presence of fruit and vegetable venders and markets.  In Costa Rica, they are everywhere; however, at least where we visited, Nicaragua was the complete opposite.  I saw only one small fruit stand the entire time we were there. It leads me to question why. Is it a time issue for cultivating the crops, are they more prevalent elsewhere in Nicaragua, are the little trinkets more of a seller point to the people, and therefore more reliable?

Also different from Costa Rica was the obvious poverty.  I have seen the homelessness in my hometown, and the way some people live in Appalachia, and even the impoverished lifestyle in the remote areas of Honduras.  But I have never witnessed this poverty-not to say that the poverty I have seen before isn’t as bad or more ok-but this was just more different than anything I have witnessed.

I know in regards to the begging children, it can be viewed that it’s their job, that they know how to get to you; they know what they’re doing. It’s their lifestyle…But to me, at the end of the day, if this is their lifestyle that they had to choose- to be 6, 7, 8…12, 13, 15..40 years old, and doing street performances through the night without parents, begging, or prostitution- we have to feel that. It’s a life we could never understand.

It’s ironic and surprising to me-or maybe just sad that it’s not, that this place-Granada- is also where some of the richest people live- who own Rent-a-Car, etc. We saw their mansions on their own private islands-the two extremes. I know this exists elsewhere, including Costa Rica, but I feel that the wealth in Costa Rica is somewhat more evenly distributed throughout the classes, and least in comparison to Nicaragua.

Even just coming back to Costa Rica from Nicaragua was somewhat of a culture shock.  I know there is poverty here in Costa Rica, but it is not as visible. I don’t know if that is better or not.  I don’t know if the poverty is not as visible because there are more social services, or because this country just works hard to keep it hidden.

What I have witnessed this past week has kept me thinking.  It’s hard to grasp the immenseness of this issue and realize or come to grips with the fact that I can’t do everything. I think the challenge we are faced with is to continue living and and taking it all in, but at the same time not forgetting- and accepting the responsibility to DO something, anything. And I’m not exactly sure what that means or what that looks like-but I just know it’s a responsibility that we can no longer have the luxury of turning our heads from. It’s too real.

No comments:

Post a Comment