Monday, April 30, 2012


           So tonight was an interesting night, and through “family event” of sorts, the answers to questions were brief. In my family, pineapples are eaten mainly raw and mainly as a breakfast food, but they do not limit it to this. We talked about how arroz con pina’s is a popular dish that is very good and that at times they are included in deserts. As to what types of desserts, they did not say. We talked about how there were different types, but the only type that I could understand was the Golden Pineapple, which I believe was is natural to Costa Rica, but the “family event” was going on at this time. My Tico dad insisted that I ask the other questions, but I abbreviated them to one to make it quicker. I asked why are pineapples important and what the symbolize, and all I got was that there was no real symbolism, while their importance lies in their export value.
            As for pineapples and the subsequent flavors that I have observed, I think the most obvious is the fact that there is pineapple juice at nearly every restaurant, and when there isn’t, it means that they are out. Of course, juice is a much more common occurrence in Costa Rica than in the United States. Is this simply because of the proximity of these juices that has led to a culture of juice or is there something more? For example, it is not hard to bring sodas in they are everywhere as well, however juice still seems to be more common.
            As for a picture, I lost my iPod and could not take a picture, lo siento.

No comments:

Post a Comment