Monday, April 16, 2012

¡Nicaragua!

My family situation (Why am I always saying this?) is interesting. My family employs a Nicaraguan maid, Ary, who has worked for them for the past 3 years. So, we're more closer to the Nicaraguan situation in Costa Rica because of our relationship with her. In general, my mother said that the immigrants (she didn't specify nationality, but I assume it's Nicaraguans) come looking for work, but strain the free healthcare/educational systems in Costa Rica. She also mentioned that many bring crime and drugs with them and that the majority of the terrible things I see on the local news are because of Nicaraguans. Yet, she has a cordial relationship with Ary, interessante no? I don't feel comfortable bringing this up because obviously, I would like to continue to eat at my house. Her responses made me think critically about the immigrant situation in the United States. Like in Costa Rica, the latino immigrants in the States put a lot of pressure on our public domestic services and the majority of immigrants enter illegally (or without documents, if that's p.c.?). However, I'm confused by the anti-Nicaraguan sentiment here because the countries are so close and so similar. In the States, it's easy to create the latino population into "the other" because they look different, speak another language, etc. but in Costa Rica that's not the case. I guess this ties back into our discussion in class and our reading on "Costa Rica es differente" - more specifically, the national myth that Costa Rica is totally different from other Central American states (the keyword is myth). So, how can Costa Ricans be so strongly opposed to Nicaraguans when there is no blatant difference between the two? Or is there? I guess I'm struggling with discrimination against a group who is so similar in many respects. Enlightenment, profe?

No tengo photos de bananas, lo siento!

2 comments:

  1. Kyle, discrimination isn't rational, but rather is full of contradictions and conflicts. Immigrants provide much needed workers, but many do use the social services of a country and can possibly put a strain on those systems. In the end, almost every country (religion, group, etc.) creates a lesser "other" to bolster group pride and identity. The us vs. them mentality ebbs and flows in history depending on economic problems or prosperity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS---You didn't include anything about fruit and the differences you observed between Costa Rica and Nicaragua. How come?!

    ReplyDelete