Monday, March 12, 2012

Food Journal Week 6


Every weekday between 6:58 and 7:02 my abuela tica starts the Black & Decker “coffee makers” in our kitchen to supply an aromatic stimulus for breakfast at 7:30 and lunch at noon. It is always served with sugar, and never milk. If guests arrive, a first question among others is “Quieres café?” While such visits often happen after lunch, my host family will not drink coffee if guests are not present, but aguadulce instead without accompanying snacks. Twice, I have seen Paula, my host abuelo’s granddaughter, drink a child’s portion of coffee in the afternoon from a small mug. Outside of the home, I have heard that many ticans prefer coffee around three times per day: at breakfast, lunch, and late afternoon. I know of three coffee house style eateries in the area that, along with all restaurants I have seen, serve at least three formats of coffee: Kaldi, Biscotti, and a small vender inside Editus Academia de las Artes. Wherever I go, the drink seems naturally embraced on all menus and by all present.

I remember first drinking coffee in the tenth grade during exam times. My mom was horrified at first, asking how I knew how to make it and exclaiming that I was hardly old enough to drink it. This says a lot for my upbringing (possibly U.S. differences in general) and the role of coffee as a post-export-boom national tradition in C.R. culture. In the U.S., I think of the drink in two ways: as a stimulus for work or an accompaniment to public socializing. These modes of consumption are expressed in the cliché images of office workers on their coffee breaks and the easily identifiable Starbucks locations with their abundant lounge sofas and all. How citizens of both nations view coffee as both product and value seem to vary, based on my personal history and other factors too. Although I inquired continuously about how the drink is perceived here, it felt as though I was going in circles with my host family possibly because they have little active consciousness of the forces they are acting within.

Of all my coffee experiences with the family, bringing home high quality product from the tour at the beginning of our stay here to share with them has been most interesting. It has not ceased to be an afternoon event about twice a week for someone in the house to bring it up and for my host family to comment on the greatness of the brew repeatedly. We have learned about the lower qualities sold in the local markets, and I have lived the results.


The top photo is of a coffee dispenser in the AM/PM nearby Mesoamerica. It is an efficient, convenient means of anything from Hot Chocolate to Cappuccino. The machine is the most bizarre of my experiences with coffee in C.R. yet; it would not be out of place in any convenience store in the States. I would like to think that this is a cheap, easy way to enjoy coffee on the go at the consumer’s convenience. But I am quick to remember the warmth of having coffee with my host family at home, or even with relatives and friends back home. This simple machine portrays a deeper dichotomy of tradition and transformation of C.R. life, like the farmer’s market does between urban and rural values. Compare it to the Black & Decker that towers over the old-fashioned maker sitting always side-by-side on our kitchen counter here. We used the old method once on the day of the water outage – I have never tasted coffee as pure.

I have realized that my taste for coffee has evolved since living abroad. Also, it is now clear that the role of coffee in tican life is hardly well represented by an export statistic. I would like to research how coffee as a daily commodity for the average tican has changed over the last century, and more specifically in the last few decades. As I continue taking part in the value that coffee expresses in my homestay, I think more will reveal itself about what the bitter drink means to my family and their culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment