Monday, March 12, 2012

Coffee Coffee Coffee


Through this experience, I learned that coffee is extremely important to Costa Rica because it represents the culture of the country. It represents much more than a “drink” but has various underlying significances. Coffee represents the importance of the coffee bean to the economy and is a crop that Costa Ricans take extreme pride in. Coffee is one of the largest exports, and my Tica family is proud that Costa Rican coffee is consumed by different countries around the world. My Tica family also explained that coffee represents social importance’s. It is rare for Costa Ricans to take a “coffee to go” because one of the main reasons to drink coffee is to enjoy with family and friends over conversation. There are no Starbucks in Costa Rica, because unlike consumers in America who drink coffee as a caffeine pick me up, consumers in Costa Rica actually value the taste of the coffee. My Tican family wants to enjoy the taste of coffee at their own kitchen table and pleasure the idea of drinking coffee socially with others.

Hearing my Tica family explain the underlying significances of coffee made me reflect on my behaviors back home. I can honestly say that I am a huge Starbuck’s consumer and love to order my grande frappes. Even though I know these drinks are overpriced and do not have the best quality of coffee, I still consume Starbucks weekly at home. I tried to reflect why I consumed such a high quantity of Starbucks, and I realized that my personal consumption was also for social influences. I have not become addicted to caffeine, where I need coffee just to get through the day. Instead I order Starbucks’s as an indulgence whenever I am with my mom or friends. Every shopping excursion or road trip begins with a Starbucks because it is a treat that I share socially with others. I would never order a Starbucks by myself, because I personally believe half the fun is sharing the experience with others. I would say that many Americans are different in that aspect, and consume Starbucks and other “coffees to go” just to get through the day. I know that my mom at home consumes multiple Starbucks a week because they are a quick and convenient source of energy when she running around throughout the day. Another difference is that most Costa Ricans drink coffee black, without even milk in it. Every drink I order at Starbucks is a sweetened with particular flavor or a blended frappicino. I would never order a plain coffee, because I can just make that at home. My Tica family has the same belief that any coffee they order at a restaurant is a waste of money, because they can just make the same drink at home.

This topic relates to our class discussion on Time, Sugar, and Sweetness. The article discussed how sugar was more than just a crop, and played a vital role on society. Just like sugar in Europe, coffee has played a major role shaping the culture of Costa Rica. Coffee has social, political, and economic influences.

It is always a little uncomfortable whenever I have coffee with my Tica family because I am the only member in the family that cannot consume coffee black. We drink a lot of coffee as a family (even the seven year old) and I am the only person to add sugar and milk. My Tica mom always sets a small bowl of milk and a few packets of sugar by my place, while everyone else drinks directly from the pot. There is definitely some dissonance because it is obvious my family consumes much stronger, and natural flavored coffee. I prefer artificial flavors in my coffee at home. (caramel, mocha, vanilla) My sister once made a comment that coffee tastes much more fresh without milk, but I do not have the stomach to hold such a strong flavor.

I learned a lot through this experience, but the main point is that coffee is much more than a drink in Costa Rica. It acts as a way of life, and a major component to the culture. Since being in Costa Rica, I have learned to appreciate coffee and the actual flavor. I have not had one “specialty drink” but instead have been drinking coffee at the kitchen table every morning with my grandmother. I have learned the importance of drinking coffee slowly with others, and using coffee as a form of socializing. I have also learned the importance coffee has to the economy of Costa Rica. Visiting the coffee plantation was fascinating and really opened my eyes.


 I took a picture of my coffee at the buffet in Cartago. The coffee they served was really interesting because the waitress provided everyone with an individual "coffee maker". Instead of serving a previously made cup of coffee, we were provided a device which made the coffee fresh, right in front of us. The waitress poured hot water into the bag of freshly grounded beans, to instantly made a cup of coffee. I thought that this was a perfect example of how important coffee is to the culture of Costa Rica. Instead of mass producing the coffee for quick and easy access, the restaurant made the coffee fresh right in front of the consumer. Even though this process took a longer amount of time, the fresh taste was worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment